Frequently Asked Questions

Which degrees match the TS program?

The Master's Program in Transportation Systems requires a background in engineering, e.g. civil or environmental engineering. Besides, you need at least basic knowledge in transportation systems as well as good proficiency in English.

Do I need German language skills to study at TS program?

English is the language of tuition in our study program. However, upon decision of the Bavarian government, also students of English taught programs must have at least basic German language skills. If you cannot submit any German language certificate at the time of application, you will have one year to achieve and hand in the required German certificate.

When do the studies start and what extra activities do I have to do to get prepared for studies?

The semester starts every year on 1st October. However, the lecture period usually starts in the mid of October. For information about important semester dates and deadline please directly refer to the websites of the Student Service Center on

How much does it cost?

Students are required to pay the student's union (incl. basic semester ticket) fees in the amount of 144.40 Euro per semester. Please check TUM pages for more up-to-date details on tuition fees:

Whom should I approach, when I have problems that are not study program related (e.g. accommodation, financing, exam nerves, etc.)?

The student union offers a broad advisory network.  contains advice centers for a variety of fields offered to all students. Please just refer to their website on and you will find great counseling and support.

Can I apply for scholarships?

The Master's Program at TUM does not grant financial support to students. For information on scholarships, please refer to TUM's scholarship website on and to the scholarship database of the DAAD, the German Academic Exchange Service (

How can I receive a letter of endorsement for my scholarship application (e.g. for DAAD, BAYHOST etc.)?

If you need a letter of endorsement ("Betreuungszusage") for your scholarship application, please send a request with your CV, a relevant English certificate (e.g. TOEFL), and your transcript of records enclosed to the degree program coordinator.

Can I apply for a student job at the university?

The chairs and professorships involved in the program offer several student assistant positions. Students usually apply for such jobs when they have achieved first academic records at TUM, i.e. at the end of their first semester.

Besides, students can apply for so-called "working students" (Werkstudent) positions at local companies.